Caribbean Fish Pie
This fish pie is amazing, it’s from Caribbean Food Made Easy by Levi Roots. I’m copying the recipe out for you. Here is all the credit for it.
- 600ml Milk
- 1 sprig of thyme
- 600g Fish Pie Mix
- 50g Butter
- 2tbs Plain Flour
- 50g Block of creamed coconut
- salt and pepper
- 1 1/2 line juice
- 250g Spinach
- Pre heat oven to 180C/350F/Gas4. Warm the milk and Thyme in a saucepan large enough to hold the fish until it reaches boiling point. Remove from the heat and leave for 30 minutes.
- Put the fish in the infused milk. Bring to the boil, turn off the heat and leave to stand for 5 minutes. Remove the fish (reserve the milk) and divide into large flakes. Discard the thyme.
- Make the sauce by melting half the butter in a large saucepan and adding the flour. Cook, stirring, for a couple of minutes over a low heat. Gradually add the warm milk from cooking the fish, whisking all the time to avoid the lumps. When it thickens, stir in the creamed coconut until it melts into the sauce. Season with salt, pepper, coriander and lime juice to taste. Stir in the spinach so it just wilts in the heat of the sauce. Stir in the fish gently so it stays in large flakes. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary.
- Put the fish mix in an oven proof dish about the size of A4 paper. Top with Caribbean Mash* and dot with remaining butter. Cook in the preheated oven for 20-30 minutes till bubbling hot.
*Caribbean Mash is a separate recipe.
- 900g Sweet potato
- 40g Butter
- nutmeg, allspice, salt and pepper
Cut the potatoes into medium, equal-sized chunks. Put in cold water, bring to the boil and simmer until tender. Mash with the butter and season to taste.
We couldn’t find the block of cream coconut so we used a tin of coconut milk (not all of it!).
As with all my cooking for the Robot I have removed the salt. I don’t think it makes much difference.
The Robot loved it, suitably messy enough for him, the sweet potato topping is particularly baby friendly as all babies like sweet potato don’t they? It’s not too spicy and getting fish in the little one is a bonus to brain growth too I guess! Dave and I quite liked it aswell!
#ABC123 is a challenge I have set myself to complete 26 weeks of posts, every week a different letter of the alphabet. This week was the letter C.